Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Possible Controversial Topic!

I titled this post as potentially controversial, because if any of my devout Catholic friends stumble across it, they may disagree and argue with me.

I am getting really tired of many of my friends posting on facebook about the political controversy over birth control.  I understand that many of them are just following what they believe, and what the church teaches.  Before I started fertility treatments and even through my early treatments, I was against myself taking the pill.  It wasn't because I was against the pill all together.  I just have other medical problems that make me feel like crap when I take the pill.  So the pill was never a long term option for birth control for me (not that I need it at this point.)  I understand and agree with the Catholic church throwing a fit over the idea that they would have to start handing out birth control.  I think that is just as wrong as asking the Catholic church to marry a gay couple.  Don't start yelling at me yet.  I am not anti-gay...quite to the contrary.  I am very pro gay equality/rights.  I would love to see gay marriage legalized in all states.  I just think that it is wrong for the government to force a religious group to blatantly go against what it teaches.  There are plenty of other churches and courthouses that will marry a gay couple.  That being said, I think that it was wrong to try to force the Catholic church to hand out birth control...I do not however think that it is wrong to require the health insurance that the church provides for it's employees, to cover birth control pills.  It is an individual decision for each person.  There are other reasons though why I fully support this requirement.  Birth control pills are pretty much just a bunch of hormones.  Women take hormone pills throughout life for various reasons.  They are not only used as a contraception.  They also are used during fertility treatments to regulate a woman's cycle, or to get rid of a cyst on an ovary. 

There are many other benefits of using BCPs, including being used as a treatment for endometriosis.  It is one of only a few noninvasive treatments that have been shown to help endo.  This being Endometriosis awareness month and being that I have endo, makes me feel like I need to speak up about this.  Medical care is so expensive, and medications sometimes can break the bank.  I am blessed enough that my endo has not caused severe pain all the time.  I can't imagine living a life of constant pain and not being able to afford the BCP's that would potentially lessen my pain.  What my many Catholic friends don't realize is that BCPs are not just a contraception, they can also be used as a medical treatment. 

I know what my friends would say to me to argue, but those same friends would never understand why I have turned to IVF to have a baby.  I am pretty open about my infertility, but there are some friends that I just don't talk about it with.  I know how cruel they would be.  I know that they wouldn't mean to be cruel.  They really are only looking out for my soul.  They are really kind hearted people, they are just so strict in their beliefs that they would try to get me to see the "error of my ways."  Plus it goes along with all the other insensitive comments that people make to infertiles.  They just don't get it, unless they have to walk in your shoes. 

6 comments:

  1. I hear you. Your last paragraph makes me think of the controversy in the US a few years ago, about the teacher at a Catholic school who was fired because she conceived using ART ... perhaps that is against the church's teachings, technically, but how can something that creates life and fulfills people's innate dreams of parenthood be wrong? Thanks for sharing your views - interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BCP's are so much more than a contraception device! I also have Endometriosis and cannot imagine having to have periods every month WITHOUT BCP's. They saved me from a lot of pain and discomfort.
    It's too bad that some people are not more open minded...
    It is difficult choosing who to share IVF with and who to shelter it from solely based on how someone will react. This has been a difficult decision for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your supportive words. You never know what kind of reaction you will get when you post something that could be controversial. I was unsure if I should even publish this post. I am glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am catholic but you know what? I agree with everything you have said and am also using IVF to get pregnant. I think its all a matter of personal choice and what you are willing to decide and lice with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had some great points in this post, Well done!
    Amazing post and I tagged you for the lovely blog award!
    Here are the rules:
    1. share who gave you this award to you with a link back to their blog.
    2. write down 7 random facts about yourself.
    3. give this award to 15 other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely understand everything you have said and have wanted to say so myself. I grew up in the Catholic Church and am currently raising my girls in it. My grandmother was a nun for a while and my parents are excellent "guilt Catholics" (go to Church on Sunday, or else!).

    That said, I'm feeling much as you are. There was a big handout in our bulletin about how I'm supposed to feel and think about health insurance plans and birth control. Well, my doctor and my husband "strongly suggested" I have my tubes tied after the last pregnancy because it was so dangerous.

    Does God want me to be a mother or dead because I tried to procreate? Because, to me, that's what it comes down to.

    And still I struggle.

    It was so nice to hear from someone else on this topic.

    Nikki

    http://turnaroundwhereareyougoing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete