Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Eve of Round Two

I didn't have this blog when we did our first round of in vitro.  It was after it failed that I decided that I wanted to document this journey.  Our first round was in November, and at first seemed like a great success, a near perfect cycle, with only a few glitches.  It started with my period coming a week early, so we had to switch to a ganirelix protocol instead of long lupron, but besides that all seemed to go great.  Follicles grew, and lots of them.  On the day of retrieval we got 22!  The next day the embryologist called, 16 were mature, and 13 fertilized.  We were ecstatic!  Then we went in for the transfer...12 made it to day 3, but none looked great.  The best ones that we had were 8cell grade B.  They looked beautiful to me, but we were told that B- or worse would not survive the freeze.  So we took the two B's that we had and transferred them, and waited a few more days to see what would survive and make it to Blasts.  Three more died off before day 5.  Of the 7 that were left, 3 were failing quickly, and 4 looked like they had the chance to survive freezing.  So we got to freeze 4.  What a roller coaster!  I have high hopes for those 4, especially since retrieval (conception day,) was on the 8th anniversary of my dad passing away.  The two that we transferred didn't make it, so now we are on to round two!
We have decided to do another fresh cycle, because quite frankly...my eggs aren't getting any younger.  With only having 4 frozen, we would have a slim chance of building the size family we want, from them.  So we figured we would do a fresh cycle, hopefully get pregnant, and have more to freeze.  Maybe this will be our last fresh cycle!
We went in for our FDA's today, and I start my Lupron tomorrow.  So far we haven't had any major glitches...except of course my crazy allergies.  Dr wants me to be on heparin and endometrin this time....I looked up the ingredients, and I can't.  I am allergic to some of the ingredients.  So now I am switched back to crinone, and I will try lovenox instead.
So on this eve of round two, I am both excited to get it started, but I am also dreading any bumps that may come up.  I am hopeful, but not quite the same hope I had last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment